Our traditional cuisine is very delicious. But this is not the entire story about the wealth of the Ukrainian land. Ukraine is known in the whole world for its authentic culture, gifted people and wonderful places which are worth to visit. How much do you really know about our country?
Let's learn more about Ukraine.
7 interesting facts
- Ukrainians created the first Constitution in the world. The author was Pylyp Orlyk, the Hetman of Zaporozhian Kozak troops. The Ukrainian Constitution was proclaimed in 1710, while in the USA it was adopted in 1787, in France and Poland – in 1791.
- The Ukrainian language ranks the second place in the list of the most melodic languages in the world. Our language yielded the palm of victory only to the Italian language at the language beauty contest, which was held in Paris in 1934.
- The geographical center of Europe is located in Ukraine. It is situated in the west of our country, in the Carpathian Mountains, in the vicinity of the little town Rakhiv. This fact was approved by geographers of the Austro-Hungarian Empire at the end of XIX century.
- The Ukrainian McDonald’s makes the top three fast food chains in the world. A couple years ago one of the Kyiv McDonald’s served almost 2,3 million customers within a year and therefore became second among other 30 000 public places.
- The Ukrainian rescued Winston Churchill from execution by a firing squad. This happened during the Boer War between XIX-XX centuries. Yuriy Budiak, who led the troop of South African Dutch, didn’t permit to kill a young English journalist who afterwards became the prime-minister of Great Britain.
- Taras Schevshenko is one of the most popular poets in the world. 1200 memorials were built in honor of Taras Schevshenko.
- The Ukrainians have constructed the plane with the biggest carrying capacity. AN-225 “Mriia” can transmit the commercial cargo up to 250 tons. Its ultimate unladen weight comprises 640 tons. By way of a comparative example, we can name the analogue measures of the weight-lift American plane “C-5 Galaxy” which takes the second place. The tonnage amounts to 381 tons.
7 famous Ukrainians
- Brothers Klitschko are the strongest heavyweight boxers of the XXI century. The eldest brother Vitalii finished his career as undefeated and got the title of the honored WBC champion. The youngest Volodymyr is the defending champion, has the WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO belts. His victorious range of boxing matches has been continuing more than 10 years, upwards 2004.
- Andriy Shevchenko is a Ukrainian footballer, the owner of the The 2004 Ballon d'Or (Golden Ball). He was the playmaker in the football club “Dynamo Kyiv”, “Milan” (Italy), “Chelsi” (England). Besides the rank of the best player in Europe in 2004, he is the best shooter of the Ukraine national football team (48 goals); the Champions League 1999, 2001, 2006; Andriy is also the second shooter in the history of the FC “Milan”. The football player makes the list of the 100 greatest footballers of the XX century.
- Ruslana is a singer. She is the winner of the Eurovision Song contest in 2004. She has an active citizenship due to the fact of the recent events in Ukraine. In 2014 Ruslana was bestowed by Michelle Obama with The International Women of Courage Award.
- Vasyl Virastyuk is a Ukrainian sportsmen. He is competing in combined heaving events. Vasyl is the multiple world champion in this sport and one of the strongest people in the world, the owner of the title “World’s Strongest Man” in 2004.
- Serhiy Bubka is an outstanding track and field athlete, the Olympic champion. He became the world champion in pole jumping 6 times, Serhiy was the world record-breaker 35 times. Bubka was the first in the world who high-jumped more than 5 meters. His record was 6,15 m which he had been keeping for 21 years, since 1993 till 2004.
- Valeriy Lobanovskyi is the famous footballer and remarkable trainer, the author of the unique training methodologies. Under his guidance the football club “Dynamo Kyiv” got the UEFA Cup twice (1975, 1986). He was rewarded by the UEFA for the contribution in the football development.
- Yana Klochkova is the world known swimmer and the world record holder. She was the Olympic champion 4 times. Except the Olympic success, she was the world champion 3 times and she won in the European championships 11 times.
Ukrainians in show business and Hollywood
- Milla Jovovich is a popular Holywood actress, singer and model. She was born in Ukraine, in Kyiv. She is widely known owing to the movies "Two Moon Junction", "Return to the Blue Lagoon", "The Fifth Element", "Joan of Arc", "Resident Evil". Milla is an ex-wife of Luc Besson, now she is married to Paul Anderson.
- Mila Kunis is an American film actress who comes from the Ukrainian town Chernivtsi. She is known thanks to the roles in the following films: “Forgetting Sarah Marshall”, “The Book of Eli”. The role in the movie “Black swan” brought her the world-wide fame – she got the Saturn Award and was nominated for the Golden Globe Award.
- Olga Kurylenko is a French model and actress, originally hails from Ukraine. Since she turned 18, she has been in fashion magazines and journals - Glamour, ELLE, Madame Figaro, Marie Claire and Vogue. She played the role of the girlfriend of James Bond in the film “Quantum of Solace” after which she was nominated for the Saturn Award as the best supporting actress.
- Snejana Onopka is a Ukrainian model. She is among Top 10 the most successful and highly sought models in the world. She is the image of numerous advertising companies and new brend collections - Calvin Klein, Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci, Lanvin, Prada, Yves Saint Laurent, Louis Vuitton, etc.
We hope that you've find out something new and exciting about our wonderful country, a tiny dot on the global map, which is called UKRAINE.