Bigos is a traditional dish of Ukrainian, Polish, Luthuainia and Belarusians cuisine. It has a sourish flavor and strong aroma of smoked products. The more kinds of meat you use the more tasty bigos you get.
What is more - this dish doesn’t loose its taste after defrost. It is usually cooked for future use and then it is frozen.
Make with us this stewed meat and sauerkraut and enjoy.
- 1 kg sauerkraut
- 10 g vinegar
- 300 g meat broth
- 250 g pork
- 250 g veal
- 150 g home-made sausage
- 150 g bacon
- 50 g pork fat
- 100 g bulb onions
- 100 g tomato sauce
- salt – to taste
- sugar – to taste
- ground black pepper – to taste
- bay leaf – to taste
Cut sauerkraut and sprinkle it with vinegar. Then add meat broth. Mix the ingredients and stew sauerkraut until soft.
Cut pork and veal in small cubes. Add salt and pepper. Fry pork and veal on a pork fat. Peel and cut bulb onions. Saute onion, add tomato sauce and boil it for 10-15 minutes.
Combine sauerkraut, veal, pork, cubed bacon, cut home-made sausage and onion. Add salt, sugar, pepper and bay leaf. Mix everything properly and stew the dish.
Enjoy your meal!
1. Cut bakon into big pieces – then its flavor will be stronger.
2. Don’t add sausage at the beginning of the cooking, then it can loose its form and comes apart.
3. The time of bigos stewing depends from the sauerkraut toughness. The more tough sauerkraut is – to longer it is necessary to stew bigos.
4. It is better to buy very sour sauerkraut for this dish.
Do you have a favorite Ukrainian recipe for stewed meat and sauerkraut? If so, please let us know in the comments below or write us an e-mail.